Sinigang Na Manok (Chicken Sinigang)
This is a comfort food and ‘getting-over-a-flu’ kind’ of dish. It has that lovely sour taste that would seduce your uninterested palate! LOL
2lbs chicken thighs and chicken legs (or one whole chicken cut into serving pieces)
1-2 packets of Knorr or Mama Sita Sinigang Mix (or use 2 cups of tamarind tops/young leaves and flowers)
1/2 lb strings beans (green beans), cut into 1½ inches pieces
2 medium size aubergines (eggplants)
1 cup radish (daikon) sliced
5 long green chilli
1½ tbsp fish sauce (patis)
1 cup tomatoes, quartered
1 large onion, sliced roughly
10-12 cups water
Method of Preparation:
- Using a large casserole pan, heat the water up. If using tamarind leaves and flowers tie and wrap them using banana leaves muslin cloth/gauze and boil.
- Add the chicken pieces, onions and tomatoes.
- If using the more convenient sinigang mix, which is readily available in most Oriental supermarket, pour it in the casserole. Mix it in. If it is not sour enough according to your taste, add half or another packet of the sinigang mix. Simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Season with the fish sauce.
- Add the string beans, aubergines, radish and green chilli.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Finally check and adjust the seasoning.
Enjoy with freshly boiled rice.