Pork Bhuna Recipe
We had chicken yesterday so instead of a bhuna made out of chicken, I prepared it with pork. I must say, the hubby said it was tasty.
I cheated a bit by using ready made bhuna sauce bought from Sainsburys. But to freshen it up, I added chopped carrots, whole red pepper and a chopped onion to the pan.
If you want to start from scratch here is a lovely recipe from the BBC Food Network:
- sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 25g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped (take out the seeds if you like)
- 2 heaped tsp cardamom pods, seeds crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- juice of ½ lemon
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large non-stick frying pan and cook the onion until soft and lightly coloured. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for 2 minutes more. Sprinkle the spices over and fry for a minute.
- Stir in the lemon juice and chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Pour the tomatoes into the pan, add 150ml water, a pinch of salt and sugar and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with steamed basmati rice.